Friday, September 01, 2006

Three's a crowd...

So let's start back off - I'm adding this first Smashing Pumpkins song and then as promised almost 2 months ago, I will soon post about both Snow Patrol and Bob Marley vs Funkstar Deluxe.

Smashing Pumpkins - Muzzle

As I think I've said a lot - sometimes it takes a while for me to really get a song - or have it make sense in my own head. Mellon Collie came out in 1995 - got it a few days early thanks to a record store (Our Music Center) that used to sell new albums on the Friday they came in and not wait for the official release date on Tuesday. Yeah, it was more expensive, but to be the person that knew all the lyrics for the most anticipated album of 1995 before everyone else. That was heaven. I also remember getting it on my birthday and being so excited that I got it and even more excited there was a song called 1979. The year I was born. It was surreal for my 16th birthday. This was also around when Z100 was cool (yes, they were!!!) and they played a live Smashing Pumpkins show from Chicago on Monday night before the album release.

I listened to this whole album today - beginning to end - and almost forgot how great it was. Yeah some songs were loud and distorted (XYU) and some were really cute (Lily, My One and Only) but overall one of the best albums ever. I believe it still sits behind Pink Floyd's The Wall as the best selling double original album of all time. I've listened to Muzzle a million times and today - it jumps out at me. In a sort of hey shit happens - but life still goes on - sort of way. I guess I realize that when I think things are figured out, it's time to panic and wait for the unexpected.


I fear that I'm ordinary, just like everyone
To lie here and die among the sorrows
Adrift among the days
For everything I ever said
And everything I've ever done is gone and dead
As all things must surely have to end
And great lovers will one day have to part
I know that I am meant for this world
My life has been extraordinary
Blessed and cursed and won
Time heals but I'm forever broken
By and by the way...
Have you ever heard the words
I'm singing in these songs?
It's for the girl I've loved all along
Can a taste of love be so wrong
As all things must surely have to end
And great lovers will one day have to part
I know that I am meant for this world
And in my mind as I was floating
Far above the clouds
Some children laughed I'd fall for certain
For thinking that I'd last forever
But I knew exactly where I was

And I knew the meaning of it all
And I knew the distance to the sun
And I knew the echo that is love
And I knew the secrets in your spires
And I knew the emptiness of youth
And I knew the solitude of heart
And I knew the murmurs of the soul
And the world is drawn into your hands
And the world is etched upon your heart
And the world so hard to understand
Is the world you can't live without
And I knew the silence of the world

No comments: